Arkansas communicators can enter a diverse array of work in the 2021 Arkansas Press Women Contest.
Get a head start: The contest year includes work completed between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2020.
Contact Contest Chair Helen Plotkin with any questions.
Win APW, Then Compete Nationally
NFPW winners to be recognized in Arkansas!
First place winners in the APW contest are eligible to compete nationally in the National Federation of Press Women Communications Contest. National winners will be recognized at the 2021 NFPW Conference in North Little Rock, June 10-12, 2021.
Here’s what you need to know as you start planning your entries:
- Entries will be submitted through the National Federation of Press Women contest site. NFPW administers state affiliate contests and an at-large contest that accepts entries from NFPW members who live or work in states without affiliates. (Share with your friend in other states!)
- Bookmark this link that takes you to the Arkansas contest home page:
- Each state affiliate has its own contest page. Arkansas’ Communications Contest for professional and collegiate work and the High School Journalism Contest can be accessed from the contest home page.
- All contest materials must be submitted electronically. Contest requirements outline what should be submitted in each category. You can return to the contest site as often as needed to complete your entries.
- HINT: Don’t wait until you’re ready to upload your entries to visit the contest page. Register for the contest now, get your password, and review the category requirements to smooth the process when you’re ready to upload your entries.
APW accepts entries from non-members, who pay higher entry fees than members.
- Members will pay $20 for their first entry and $15 for each additional entry.
- Non-members will pay $30 for their first entry and $20 for each additional entry.
- HINT: To avoid paying a late fee, submit all your entries by Jan. 27, 2021. The one-time late fee is $25 and will be collected on your first entry submitted after noon (Central) on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2021.
Advancing to National
Arkansas entries that win first place can advance to the national competition. If your entry places first, you’ll receive an email from APW asking you to:
- Reimburse APW for the $20-per-entry national entry fee. APW has chosen to request reimbursement from the first-place winners rather than increasing entry fees for everyone to cover this expense.
- Join APW/NFPW if you are not already a member. Current members will be asked to pay their 2021 membership dues, if they have not already. NFPW requires that entrants in the national contest be members in good standing no later than March 15, 2021.
- HINT: Join APW/NFPW now. Pay your 2021 dues and your membership starts immediately, allowing you to enter your 2020 work at the member rate.
- Early deadline for all categories: Jan. 27 at noon Central time
- A one-time $25 late fee will be assessed on the first entry submitted after noon on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2021.
- If you pay the $25 late fee:
- Book entries will be accepted until noon on Feb. 3.
- All other entries will be accepted until noon on Feb. 10.
- Winners in the Arkansas Press Women contest are are usually honored at a luncheon in the spring. All entrants are invited and details will be posted on the APW website and on social media.
- National awards will be presented during the 2021 NFPW Conference, which will be June 10-12 in North Little Rock.
- We hope to have a large group of Arkansas winners recognized by their peers from across the nation!